hpglogoGeneralKey

 

 

 

 

Political & Social History

Political&SocialHistoryCivil War Several historic sites represent the Civil War period in Prince George’s County including two forts, Fort Foote and Fort Washington, both used in the defense of the Nation’s Capital, as well as the Mary Surratt House, to which John Wilkes Booth escaped after his assassination of President Lincoln at Ford’s Theater in Washington, D.C.

Political HistoryBecause of Prince George’s County’s close association with the Nation’s Capital, it has been much involved with political movements and events. Several historic sites represent this political history, including residences of prominent statesmen and politicians such as Riversdale, Mattaponi in Croom, St. James Hill in Piscataway, Marietta, and Oxon Hill Manor.

Social HistoryThe theme of social history is represented in its many facets in Prince George’s County historic sites. The late-eighteenth and early-nineteenth century practice of dueling is represented in the Bladensburg Dueling Grounds. The sport of the hunt is represented in the Marlboro Hunt Club.

Special activities, programs, and events are held at our Historic sites throughout the year.


Photos are courtesy of their respective websites.


Airmen Memorial Museum
5211 Auth Road
Camp Springs, MD 20746
301-899-3500
Additional Resource
The Airmen Memorial Museum is dedicated to collecting artifacts, photographs, diaries, personnel records, letters, books and other items pertaining to the service of enlisted airmen.


Belair Mansion & Cemetery
12207 Tulip Grove Drive
Bowie MD 20715
301-809-3089
Additional Resource
This magnificent structure represents the history of Bowie circa 1745. The beautiful five-part Georgian plantation house was once the home of Samuel Ogle, provincial governor of Maryland. Enlarged in 1914 by the New York architectural firm of Delano and Aldrich, the mansion was also the home of William Woodward, a famous horseman in the first half of the 20th century. Restored to reflect its 250-year-old legacy, the mansion is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Calvert Hall University of Maryland
College Park MD 20742
Additional Resource
1913, an excellent example of early-20th-century eclectic architecture designed by the architectural firm of Flournoy and Flournoy. The residence hall was named after Congressman Charles B. Calvert, who helped establish the Maryland Agricultural Act.


College Park Aviation Museumcollege park aviation museum
1985 Corporal Frank Scott Drive
College Park MD 20740
301-864-6029
Additional Resource
The College Park Aviation Museum, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is located on the grounds of the world’s oldest continuously operating airport. The airport, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was founded in 1909 when Wilbur Wright came here to give flight instruction to the first military aviators. Visitors to the museum step into an open one-and-a-half-story exhibit space, which highlights the display of unique aircraft and artifacts and tells the story of the airport’s many aviation firsts. The museum gallery contains historic and reproduction aircraft associated with the history of the airfield, as well as hands-on activities and interpretive areas for children of all ages. Changing exhibits and new programs every month keep visitors coming back for more.


Darnall’s Chance House MuseumDarnalls Chance
14800 Governor Oden Bowie Drive
Upper Marlboro MD 20722
301-952-8010
Additional Resource
Darnall’s Chance was built in 1742 by James Wardrop, a Scottish immigrant who amassed a fortune as a merchant and entrepreneur in the bustling port town of Upper Marlboro. In 1745, he married Lettice Lee, daughter of Phillilp Lee, ancestor of the Maryland branch of the illustrious Lee family of Virginia.

Dorsey ChapelDorsey Chapel
10704 Brookland Road
Glenn Dale MD 20769
240-264-3415
Additional Resource
Dorsey Chapel is a small meeting-house-style church which served as the spiritual and social center of the rural African-American community of Brookland at the turn of the 20th century. Construction of the chapel was completed in 1900; it was named after its first minister, the Reverend A.B. Dorsey. A small, active congregation occupied the chapel from 1900 to 1971. In 1971, the congregation merged with the congregation from Perkins Chapel to form Glenn Dale United Methodist Church, and Dorsey Chapel was no longer used. Initially scheduled for demolition in 1980, the Friends of Dorsey Chapel organized efforts to preserve and restore the Church.


Dueling GroundsDueling Grounds
37th Avenue
Colmar Manor MD 20722
Additional Resource
“Grassy park area located on part of Chillum Castle Manor, patented to William Digges in 1763. Scene of at least 26 recorded duels during first half of 19th century; most famous was the 1820 meeting between Commodores James Barron and Stephen Decatur, in which the latter was fatally wounded.”


Fort FooteFort Foote Park
8900 block of Fort Foote Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
301-763-4600
Additional Resource
1863, remains of Civil War fort, including earthworks, 10 gun mounts, 2 Rodman guns, and concrete magazine. Southenmost of 68 forts erected during Civil War to defend Washington; now part of park system.


Fort Washington National ParkFort Washington Park
13551 Fort Washington Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
301-763-4600
Additional Resource
Fort Washington has stood as a silent sentry defending the Nation’s Capital, for over 180 years. As technologies advanced so did Fort Washington. Fort Washington is one of the few remaining Seacoast Forts in its original designs. The first Fort Washington was completed in 1809 and guarded the Nation’s Capital until it was destroyed by its own garrison in 1814. Twelve days later Major Pierre L’Enfant was sent to construct new defenses but worked on the Fort for only a brief period before Lieutenant Colonel Walker K. Armistead replaced him. The Fort was completed on October 2, 1824. Extensive remodeling was performed in the 1840s and the first guns were mounted in 1846. Except for a few guns at the Washington Arsenal, Fort Washington was the only defense for the Nation’s Capital until the Civil War when a circle of temporary forts was built around the city.


Free Hope Baptist ChurchFree Hope Baptist Church
4107 47th Street
Bladensburg MD 20710
301-779-1278
Additional Resource
818, 1908, brick gable-roof church with later bell tower and lower gable-roof addition. Third Presbyterian church building in Bladensburg; sold to black Baptist congregation in 1874; sole surviving historic structure in industrial area.


Gibbons Methodist Episcopal Church Site, Education Building & Cemetery
Gibbons Church Road
Brandywine MD 20613
301-372-6250
1920s, 1 story frame building with gable-end facade; cemetery c. 1900 onward. Founded by a group formerly enslaved African-Americans in 1884 who constructed a frame church building in 1889; it was demolished in 1967; congregations like this helped build a sense of community and self-determination among members in an era when political, social, and economic opportunities were limited by the failure of Reconstruction-era reforms and the structures of government-sponsored segregation.


Hilleary Magruder House/William Hilleary HouseHilleary House
4703 Annapolis Road
Bladensburg MD 20710
Additional Resource
Mid-18th century 1 1/2 story stucco-covered stone gambrel-roof house, restored as offices in the 1980s. Built for William Hilleary and visited by George Washington in 1787; one of four surviving pre-Revolutionary buildings in Bladensburg; owned or rented by a series of five doctors, including Dr. Archibald Magruder.


Hyattsville ArmoryHyattsville Armory
5340 Baltimore Avenue
Hyattsville MD 20781
Additional Resource
1918, 3-story fortress-like stone structure with turrets, parapets and buttresses, designed by state architect Robert Lawrence Harris during the administration of Governor Albert C. Ritchie Headquarters of Company F of First Maryland Infantry, later the ll5th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division.


Lake House/Presbyterian Parsonage
8524 Potomac Avenue
College Park MD 20740
1894, only Victorian style dwelling w/Queen Anne decorative detail surviving from early subdivision of Central Heights (now Berwyn). Built for Annie and Wilmot Lake across street from Berwyn railroad station; served as parsonage for Berwyn Presbyterian Church from 1919 to late 1950s.


Lakeland Community High SchoolLakeland Sandlot Highschool Team
Maryland
Additional Resources
1925 Neoclassical brick Rosenwald school with a 1940s addition. One of the first high schools for blacks in the county; built to serve the communities of Bladensburg, Brentwood, north Brentwood, Lakeland, Ammendale, Muirkirk and Laurel.


Laurel Historical Society and Museumlaurel historical society
817 Main Street
Laurel MD 20707
301-725-7975
Additional Resource
Located in a former mill-workers’ home, this museum houses collections of books, photographs, tools, personal artifacts, textiles, and oral histories. Its main floor is the site of exhibits devoted to the history of Laurel and the surrounding community. Downstairs is devoted to the gift shop, additional exhibits, and an audio-visual area. The 2,590-square-foot brick and stone building was erected in the early 1840s by mill owners to house their employees.


Marietta House MuseumMarietta House
5626 Bell Station Road
Glenn Dale MD 20769
301-464-5291
Additional Resource
Marietta, the Federal-style brick home of Gabriel Duvall, an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built circa 1813, Marietta remained under ownership of the Duvall family until 1902. Justice Duvall’s law office and root cellar remain today. Marietta operates as an historic house museum and is furnished and interpreted to reflect the three generations of Duvall’s that occupied the house.


Market Master’s HouseMarket Master's House
4006 48th Street
Bladensburg MD 20710
Additional Resource
c. 1765, 1 1/2 story side-gabled house built of non local stone. Built by Christopher Lowndes of Bostwick on lot overlooking adjoining market space; unique example of its type, one of four surviving pre-Revolutionary buildings in Bladensburg.


Mattaponi & Cemetery
11000 Mattaponi Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-952-9074
Additional Resource
18th century, rebuilt c. 1820, two-story hip-roof brick house (Flemish bond) with flanking wings; fine interior detail of transitional Federal/Greek Revival period; several barns on property; significantly altered in the 1950s. Country home of Governor Robert Bowie, rebuilt in then-current style after his death in 1818.


McCormick-Goodhart Mansion
8100 15th Avenue
Hyattsville MD 20783
Additional PDF Resource
1924 massive 2 1/2 story Georgian Revival brick mansion with Ionic entrance portico. Designed by George Oakley Totten, Jr., for Frederick and Henrietta McCormick-Goodhart who named it Langley Park after the Goodhart estate in England.


Montpelier Arts Center
9652 Muirkirk Road
Laurel MD 20708
301-377-7800
Additional Resource
Montpelier Arts Center is a dynamic, multifaceted arts destination located on the grounds of historic Montpelier Mansion in northern Prince George’s County. The Montpelier Arts Center enriches the communities of central Maryland by providing quality visual, literary, and performing arts programs.


Montpelier Mansion & CemeteryMontpelier Mansion
9650 Muirkirk Road
Laurel MD 20708
301-377-7817
Additional Resource
A fine example of the Georgian architecture popular in Maryland in the late 1700s, Montpelier Mansion sits on approximately 70 acres of beautiful parkland. Architectural and building construction details, as well as historical research, suggest that the house was constructed between 1781 and 1785. Major Thomas Snowden and his wife, Anne, original owners of Montpelier Mansion, welcomed many distinguished guests into their home, including George Washington and Abigail Adams.


Mount Airy MansionMount Airy Mansion
8714 Rosaryville Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-856-9656
Additional Resource
c. 1740 and late 18th century, complex three-part brick structure, incorporating early 18th-century gambrel-roof dwelling; rebuilt after 1931 fire, and recently renovated as a country inn; historic outbuildings include stable and greenhouse. Home of Calvert family during Provincial period, later frequently visited by George Washington; in this century, home of Matilda R. Duvall and Eleanor “Cissy” Patterson. The original part of the house was built as a hunting lodge by Charles Calvert, the Third Lord Baltimore, when he came from England around 1660. The dwelling then consisted of one 50 foot room with fireplaces on each end. This room is one of the loveliest in the house, which now consists of 13 large rooms. Parties, great and small, weddings, births, deaths, visits from seven Presidents all have left their mark, leaving a wonderful feeling of expectancy to the lovely old home.


Mount Calvert Historical & Archaeological ParkMount Calvert
16302 Mount Calvert Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-627-1286
Additional Resource
Mount Calvert is one of the most significant historical and archaeological sites in Prince George’s County. Ten interpretative wayside signs and the exhibit “The Confluence of Three Cultures” describe the archaeology of 8,000 years of American Indian presence, the development of colonial Charles-Town (the county’s first seat of government from 1696-1721), and an early American tobacco plantation.


Mount Nebo A.M.E. Church & CemeteryMount Nebo
17214 Queen Anne Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20774
301-249-7545
Additional Resource
1925 one-story frame gable-roof meeting-house with centered entry tower, built to replace 1877 chapel. Exemplifies the long history of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in this rural area; with adjoining school became focal point for local black community.


Mount Rainier United Methodist Church
3501 Bunker Hill Road
Mount Rainier MD 20712
301-277-8227
1924, 2 1/2 story, 3-bay masonry L-shaped church designed in the Classical Revival style with a front columned portico and a bell tower located in the crook of the L. Designed by architect Rossel E. Mitchell, the church reflects the rapid expansion Mount Rainer experienced as a streetcar suburb during the first decades of the 20th century; the building is an established and familiar visual feature of the neighborhood and is notable for its architectural details.


Mount WelbyMount Welby
6411 Oxon Hill Road
Oxon Hill MD 20745
301-839-1176
Additional Resource
c. 1800, two-story brick house of Georgian plan with shed roof and corbelled cornice, rebuilt from gable roof; historic outbuildings include brick stable and other farm buildings. Prominently located above the Potomac River on the grounds of Oxon Cove Park (NPS); since 1891, part of St. Elizabeth’s Hospital farm.


NASA Goddard Space Flight CenterNASA
Goddard Visitor Center ICES Drive
Greenbelt MD 20771
301-286-2000
Additional Resource
The hub of all NASA tracking activities, Goddard is also responsible for the development of unmanned sounding rockets and research in space and earth sciences (including NASA’s Mission to Planet Earth). Through interactive educational exhibits, visitors explore Goddard Space Flight Center with a focus on 1958 to the present.


National Agricultural Library
10301 Baltimore Avenue
Beltsville MD 20705
301-504-5755
Additional Resource
Established in 1862 under legislation signed by President Lincoln, the National Agricultural Library, along with the Library of Congress and the National Library of Medicine, is one of the three national libraries of the United States. It is the largest agricultural library in the world, with over 2.3 million volumes on 48 miles of shelves located on 14 floors.


National Archives at College Parknational archives college park
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park MD 20740
301-837-2000
Additional Resource
The National Archives at College Park is best known as the current home of the Richard Nixon/Watergate tapes. This state-of-the-art archival facility houses an extensive collection of important and historic documents, tapes, and film.


National Wildlife Visitor Centernational wildlife visitor center
10901 Scarlet Tanager Loop
Laurel MD 20708
301-497-5580
Additional Resource
The center is located at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service’s 12,000-acre Patuxent Research Refuge, established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1936. Explore wildlife and the environment in a Smithsonian-quality experience featuring interactive exhibits. The focus is on global environmental issues, migratory bird studies, habitats, endangered species, and life cycles. Magnificent walking trails are also available. But for those who would rather sit, enjoy the view from the tram tours.


Newton White Mansion, Farm & Cemeterynewton white exterior
Newton White Mansion, Farm & Cemetery
2708 Enterprise Road
Mitchellville MD 20721
301-249-2004
Additional Resource
In 1939, Captain and Mrs. Newton H. White purchased land in Prince George’s County with the intention of creating a model dairy farm. The farm proved to be very lucrative and the couple commissioned architect W.E. Bottomly to build a mansion on the property. He named the two-story brick Neo-Georgian style home and the surrounding 586 acre tract Enterprise Estate, after the U.S.S. Enterprise, the ship he commanded prior to World War II. It included, model dairy farm buildings and cemetery; the land, known as Warington, was owned for over a century by the Waring family, six of whose members are buried in a small fenced plot near the present mansion. Today the mansion is surrounded by Enterprise Golf Course and consists of six large rooms, a contemporary glass-enclosed atrium, two upstairs dressing rooms, and an outdoor brick patio with a central waterfall fountain.


North Brentwood
5008 Queensbury Road
North Brentwood MD 20722
301-699-9699
Additional Resource
North Brentwood was the first African-American incorporated Town in the Prince George’s County. It is situated six miles northeast of the ellipse between Mt. Rainier and Hyattsville, Maryland. North Brentwood was originally part of the “Castle Tract”, later known as the “Highlands”. In 1887 Captain Wallace Bartlett formed Holladay Land and Improvement Division. He sold plots of land in the low area, subject to flooding, to African-Americans. He dedicated this land in memory of the black regiment which served under him in the civil war. Land was designated for churches and a school.


North Brentwood A.M.E. Zion Church
4037 Webster Street
North Brentwood MD 20722
301-927-7698
Additional Resource
“1920 Front-gabled Gothic Revival brick and stucco church with corner entry tower. One of the two original places of worship in the historically black community of North Brentwood.”


Northampton Plantation Slave Quarters & Archaeological ParkNorthampton
Lake Overlook Drive
Bowie MD 20721
301-627-1286
Additional Resource
Historians and archaeologists are working together to reconstruct the lives of the many slaves and tenant farmers who lived at Northampton Plantation. This historic site features reconstructed foundations of two slave quarteres from the former Northampton Plantation (1673-1860). Archaeological excavations have recovered artifacts and information about the lives of African American slaves and tenant farmers who lived there from the late 18th through the mid-20th century. Interpretive signage describes the site’s history and ongoing research.


Nottingham Archeological Site
17304 Nottingham Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
500 B.C.-1600 A.D., middle and late Woodland village site. Possibly the site of Native American village indicated on John Smith’s 1608 map.


Nottingham Myers Church & Cemetery
15601 Brooks Church Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
1939, 1983, vernacular wood frame and wood clapboard sided church; connecting wing and hyphen constructed in 1983. Focal point for the black population in the Croom-Nottingham region; strong historical connections to the Mansfield plantation and to the work of the Freedmen’s Bureau.


Nottingham Schoolhouse
17410 Nottingham Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
1911, 1-story, 3-bay vernacular building has a front gabled roof with overhanging eaves; a 1-story, 3-bay projecting front-gabled wing on the facade forms the primary entrance. Built on the site of a previous school, using materials from that building.


Old Bells Methodist Church & Cemetery
6016 Allentown Road
Suitland MD 20746
1910, Frame gable-roof church building with corner bell tower and decorative pressed metal ceiling; grounds include modern church/parish hall building. Built on site of antebellum Beall’s meetinghouse; good example of Gothic Revival-style church popular in the county early in this century.

Old St. Margaret’s Roman Catholic Church
410 Addison Road South
Seat Pleasant MD 20743
301-336-3345
Additional Resource
1908, one-story, gable-roof frame church with comer bell tower. Significant for its Gothic Revival architecture and for its connection with Francis S. Carmody, developer of Seat Pleasant.


Old Town College Park Historic District
College Park, MD 20740
Additional Resource
The Old Town College Park Historic District extends from the dates 1889 to 196 5 and is a representative example of the many residential subdivisions that emerged as the suburbs of Washington, D.C., expanded with the advent of the streetcar and automobile at the end of the nineteenth century and in the early- to mid-twentieth century.


Oxon Hill Farm at Oxon Cove Parkoxon hill farm
6411 Oxon Hill Road
Oxon Hill MD 20745
301-839-1176
Additional Resource
Oxon Hill Farm is an historical farm with buildings dating back to the early 1800s when the property was a wheat plantation. A variety of daily farm activities and programs is held throughout the park’s 512 acres. Explore how the park evolved from a plantation home during the War of 1812, to a hospital farm to the park you can visit today.


Oxon Hill ManorOxon Hill Manor
6901 Oxon Hill Road
Oxon Hill MD 20745
301-839-7782
Additional Resource
1929, large two-story neo-Georgian brick mansion with hip roof, flanking wings, and fine decorative detail. Outstanding example of 20th-century estate-era architecture, designed by Jules Henri de Sibour for career diplomat Sumner Welles; built near the site of 18th-century Oxon Hill Manor which was destroyed by fire in 1895. Owned by M-NCPPC.


Patuxent Rural Life Museums at Patuxent River Parkpatuxent rural life museum display
1600 Croom Airport Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-627-6074
Additional Resource
The Patuxent Rural Life Museums, located within the 7,000-acre Patuxent River Park, are a collection of museums and farm buildings dedicated to preserving the heritage of southern Prince George’s County. There are seven buildings at the site: the Duvall Tool Museum, the Blacksmith Shop, the Farrier and Tack Shop, a Tobacco Farming Museum, and the 1880 Duckett Log Cabin with its privy, chicken coop, and meat house.


Peace CrossPeace Cross
Annapolis Road and Route 1
Bladensburg MD 20710
Additional Resource
1919-1925, constructed of cast concrete with exposed aggregate, the cross is a tan color comprised of chipped flint material; arms extend five feet from the center on each side and are supported by unadorned, arched concrete brackets; the arms also have arched brackets on top, suggesting the form of a Celtic cross. Significant as a prominent public monument to county residents who lost their lives in the line of duty during World War I; the design of the Peace Cross is the work of master craftsman and contractor John J. Earley, founder of the Earley Process for concrete.


Perkins Chapel and Cemetery
8500 Springfield Road
Glenn Dale MD 20769
c. 1861, 1 1/2 story gable-roof frame meeting-house with bracketed cornice and gabled entry vestibule. Built during the division in the Methodist Episcopal
Church in the 1860s on land donated by J. T. Perkins; one of the few surviving mid-19th century rural chapels in the county.


Piscataway Parkpiscataway park
3400 Bryan Point Road
Accokeek MD 20607
301-283-2113
Additional Resource
The view from Mount Vernon will continue to be protected thanks to the Accokeek Foundation’s efforts to develop a public-private partnership to create Piscataway Park. Piscataway Park, part of the National Park Service, was established in 1961 as a pilot project in the use of easements to protect park lands from obtrusive urban expansion. Today, Piscataway Park covers approximately 5,000 acres and stretches for six miles from Piscataway Creek to Marshall Hall on the Potomac River.


Piscataway Park Archeological Site
3400 block Bryan Point Road
Accokeek MD 20607
301-283-2113
Additional Resource
Prehistoric to present, the site lies within 4,000 acres of parkland in both Prince George’s and Charles Counties, including Accokeek Creek Site and National Colonial Farm. Principally significant for its role in maintaining the historic vista across the Potomac River from Mount Vernon.


Piscataway Tavern
2204 Floral Park Road
Clinton MD 20735
c. 1750; 2 1/2 story gable-roof frame house, attached to older 1 1/2 story section. Operated as tavern and store by Thomas Clagett; important element in 18th-century town of Piscataway.


Poplar Hill on His Lordship’s KindnessPoplar Hill
7606 Woodyard Road
Clinton MD 20735
301-856-0358
Additional Resource
Owned and operated by the John M. and Sara R. Walton Foundation, Inc., Poplar Hill on His Lordship’s Kindness is one of three structures in Prince George’s County designated as National Historic Landmarks. Originally named “Poplar Hill,” its present name is derived from a 7,000-acre land grand from Charles Calvert, the third Lord Baltimore, to Col. Henry Darnall in 1703. The current mansion was built between 1785 and 1787 by the colonel’s great-grandson, Robert Darnall. He replaced the earlier residence of his father, Henry Darnall III, with this beautiful Georgian home. Since its construction, Poplar Hill has been home to many families, including the Darnalls, the Sewalls, the Daingerfelds, U.S. Senator John S. and Susan Daingerfeld Barbour, the Hales, the Dunhams, U.S. Ambassador David Bruce and his wife, Evangeline Bruce, the Sayers, and the last owners, the Walton family. Poplar Hill on His Lordship’s Kindness is an institution within a community that reflects the human spirit and the history of nation within the telling of stories about families, both black and white, from the late 17th century through the time of 20th century. Poplar Hill is currently closed.


Poplar Hill School
19104 Croom Road
Brandywine MD 20613
1936 side-gabled frame schoolhouse. Poplar Hill School is significant for its role in the history of public education for African-Americans in Prince George’s County during the era of government-sanctioned segregation. Poplar Hill School was the second school for “colored” students in the area, replacing a small one-room schoolhouse located approximately 600 feet to the northwest.


Prince George’s Bank, Hyattsville
5214 Baltimore Avenue
Hyattsville MD 20781
1926, 1948-49 Neoclassical brick and limestone bank. One of the bank’s directors, T. Howard Duckett, a local attorney and businessman, helped form the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission in 1918 and The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission in 1927.


Providence Methodist Episcopal Church & Cemetery
10610 Old Fort Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
301-292-2323
Additional Resource
1903, Colonial Revival style church; a 1-story, 1-bay front-gabled portico shelters the main entry in the steeple; the portico is supported by wood posts; fenestration consists of 9/9 windows with multi-light lunette transoms. Built to serve a small congregation in rural Fort Washington, the building expanded as the congregation did, and is now an established and familiar visual landmark along Old Fort Road that stands out for its architectural details.


Queen’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church Site & Cemetery
7410 Old Murirkirk Road
Beltsville MD 20705
301-937-7122
This is the site of the original Queen’s Chapel, built in 1868. The original church was a small log chapel, and included a cemetery that was already being used by African Americans in the Muirkirk area. The original chapel has been replaced twice, most recently by a brick church that stands on the opposite side of the road. The construction of another chapel on an adjacent lot is currently planned. The site of the original chapel is now the cemetery of Queen’s Chapel United Methodist Church. The oldest inscribed gravestone dates back to 1886.


Radio and Television MuseumRadio and Television Museum
2608 Mitchellville Road
Bowie MD 20715
301-390-1020
Additional Resource
Explore radio from Marconi’s earliest wireless telegraph to the primitive crystal sets of the 1920s, from Depression-era cathedrals and post-War plastic portables to the development of radio with pictures (a.k.a. television). The museum is located in the 1906 Harmel House, an old storekeeper’s residence in the village of Mitchellville, a section of modern south Bowie. In conjunction with the City of Bowie, the Radio History Society presents the history of broadcasting, a medium which so dramatically shaped our lives from the 1920s to today.


Ridgeley Rosenwald School
8507 Central Avenue
Capitol Heights MD 20743
1927, vernacular wood frame shingled school building with hipped roof. Built in 1927 as part of the Rosenwald program, later used as a special center and since 1960 served as the bus management office for Prince George’s County Public schools. Most intact of the 9 remaining of the original 23 Rosenwald Schools in the County.


Ridgely Methodist Episcopal Church
8900 Central Ave
Capitol Heights MD 20743
301-925-7599
Ridgely Church is a one-story, front gabled structure with pointed-arch windows with commemorative stained glass. It is bordered by a small graveyard with handsome primitively carved stones. The present building was constructed in 1921 to replace the original church founded by Lewis Ridgely in 1871 that was destroyed by fire. Lewis Ridgely was one of three original church trustees. Succeeding generations of Ridgelys remained active in the church and community. In order to accommodate the widening of Central Avenue in the late 1980s, the church was moved a short distance north, renovated and stabilized.


Riverdale Baptist Church
6200 Riverdale Road
Riverdale MD 20737
301-249-7001
Additional Resource
1896, 2 1/2 story hip-roof frame dwelling with wraparound porch, projecting bay and ornamental shingle siding. Outstanding example of late Victorian domestic architecture, the only surviving historic dwelling in its immediate neighborhood.


Riversdale Park
5008 Queensbury Road
Riversdale Park MD 20737
301-927-6381
Additional Resource
The Town was incorporated in 1920 as Riverdale, drawing the name from Riverdale, the plantation owned by the Calvert family that is at the center of the town. In a referendum held August 8, 1998 it was voted to rename the town to Riversdale Park, effective September 7, 1998. The United States Postal Service, however, still refers to the incorporated town of Riverdale Park as well as some of the surrounding unincorporated area to the east as “Riverdale”.


Riversdale House MuseumRiversdale House
4811 Riversdale Road
Riverdale MD 20737
301-864-0420
Additional Resource
Riversdale, a National Historic Landmark, is a restored, five-part, stucco-covered brick plantation home built between 1801 and 1807. Construction of this elegant manor house was begun for Henri Stier, a Flemish aristocrat, and was completed by his daughter Rosalie and her husband, George Calvert, grandson of the fifth Lord Baltimore. The mansion blends both Flemish and American architectural styles and has particularly fine interior plaster detail. The site is also home to a gift shop.


Riversdale Road Archeological Site
Riversdale Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
6000 B.C. to A.D. 1300, nomadic people lived intermittently at the site from the prehistoric Archaic period to Woodland period. Archeological investigations revealed prehistoric stone tools, ceramics, and hearths & historic artifacts.


Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church & CemeterySacred Heart
16301 Annapolis Road
Bowie MD 20715
301-262-0704
Additional Resource
1741, 1855, 1876, gable-roof stone church with early semi-octagonal sacristy and later Victorian frame bell tower; grounds include ancient cemetery and Second Empire style Rectory. Sanctuary and sacristy survive from original church; rebuilt after fire in May 1853; Roman Catholic clergy meeting at White Marsh in April 1789 elected John Carroll, a native of Upper Marlboro, as the first American bishop.


Saint Barnabas Church & CemeterySaint Barnabas Church
5203 Saint Barnabas Road
Oxon Hill MD 20745
301-249-5000
Additional Resource
1851 brick church with three-story entry tower, mitre arched windows and corbelled cornice; grounds include Rectory, Sexton’s House and parish hall
Built as chapel for St. John’s at Broad Creek to replace original 1830 mission chapel.


Saint George’s Episcopal Chapel & CemeterySaint George Chapel
7010 Glenn Dale Road
Glenn Dale MD 20769
301-262-3285
Additional Resource
1892, restored frame gable-roof church building with ornamental shingle siding in gable front and stained glass altar window. Erected as mission chapel of Holy Trinity parish; fine example of late Victorian Gothic ecclesiastical architecture with Queen Anne decorative features.


Saint Ignatius Church & Cemetery
2401 Brinkley Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
301-567-4740
Additional Resource
1890-1891, Queen Anne-style church with centered entry tower, corner buttresses and fine ornamental shingle siding Oldest Roman Catholic Church building in southwest county; fine example of Queen Anne-style ecclesiastical architecture.


Saint James Episcopal ChurchSaint James' Episcopal Church
13010 8th Street
Bowie MD 20715
301-262-4442
Additional Resource
1906, 1923 Gothic revival style wood frame chapel. As early as 1872, Holy Trinity Vestry considered building in Huntington. This idea was abandoned in
favor of one in Glenn Dale, the next train stop. That building is called St. George’s Chapel.


Saint James Hill
14200 Livingston Road
Clinton MD 20735
1830s 2 1/2 story gable-roof brick house (Flemish bond) attached to early 1 1/2 story gable-roof frame building, renovated and expanded in the 20th century. Home of Dr. Benedict J. Semmes (U.S. Congressman); unique joining of architectural elements; prominent local landmark.


Saint James Roman Catholic Church
3628 Rhode Island Avenue
Mount Rainier MD 20712
301-927-0567
Additional Resource
1926, 1951, 1954, Romanesque Revival brick church with a steel skeleton and red clay tile roof. Designed by prominent Washington, D.C. architectural firm Murphy & Olmstead.


Saint John’s Church & CemeterySaint John's Episcopal Church
9801 Livingston Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
301-248-4290
Additional Resource
1766, rectangular brick church, Flemish bond, with flared hip roof; rebuilding of 1722 church structure. Fourth church built on this site in Piscataway (King
George’s) Parish; oldest church site in Prince George’s County.


Saint John’s Episcopal Church & Cemetery
11040 Baltimore Avenue
Beltsville MD 20705
301-937-4292
Additional Resource
1877 gable-roof brick church, bell tower with Stick-style detail and 1920s parish hall. 2-story brick office wing added in 1991. Third church on the site of Zion Parish; designed by Baltimore architect John R. Niernsee; cornerstone laid by Bishop William Pinkney.


Saint Mary’s Beneficial Society Hall
14825 Pratt Street
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
c. 1892 -one-story, front-gabled frame structure with entrance, porch and small box office at west gable end. For nearly a century the center of social, religious, and charitable activities of local black Catholic community; last remaining building of a group of stores and houses on Pratt Street dating from 1850 to 1930; restored as law office in 1980s.


Saint Mary’s Church & Cemetery
13401 Piscataway Road
Clinton MD 20735
301-292-2522
Additional Resource
1904, Gothic revival brick church, 2 story projecting pyramidal roof entry bell tower and buttresses. Possibly built by Wyvill brothers of Upper Marlboro who had built St. Mary’s Church in 1899.


Saint Mary’s RectorySaint Mary's Rectory
16305 Saint Marys Church Road
Aquasco MD 20608
Additional Resource
1848, 1856 2 1/2 story, Greek Revival-and Italianate-style gable-roof frame rectory; unusual entry hall plan and fine interior detail. Built as rectory for St. Paul’s Parish in Woodville and served as such for over a century; floor plan and detail representative of popular mid-19th century house style.


Saint Paul’s Church & Cemetery
13500 Baden Westwood Road
Brandywine MD 20613
1735, cruciform brick gable-roof church (Flemish bond), with round-arch windows and unique sundial over entrance. Built as church of St. Paul’s Parish; in continuous use since its construction; in 1780, Thomas John Claggett became rector of St. Paul’s Church.


Saint Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church
6634 St. Barnabas Road
Oxon Hill MD 20745
301-567-4433
Additional Resource
St. Paul’s is thought to be he oldest black congregation in Prince George’s County. The original church was constructed in 1888. In 1915, the present sanctuary, a small front gabled building with pointed arch towers and a three-story corner tower, was built. The original church was destroyed in the 1920s and replaced by a series of church additions. The church’s congregation preceded the construction in 1888. Traveling clerics in the late 18th century preached to a group of freed blacks in Oxon Hill who had built their own meetinghouse. This group is believed to have a connection to the African American Methodist congregation that in 1867 acquired the land on which St. Paul’s was built.


Saint Thomas Episcopal Church & Cemeteryst. thomas episcopal church
14300 St. Thomas Church Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-627-8469
Additional Resource
1742-45 cruciform, brick church with Gothic Revival stained glass windows; apse added in 1859, and three story entry tower added in 1888. Built as chapel-of-ease for northern St. Paul’s Parish; home church of Thomas John Claggett, first Episcopal Bishop consecrated in United States; focal point of the Croom community.


Saint Thomas Episcopal Church Rectory
10108 Croom Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-627-8469
Additional Resource
1853, 1887, 1919, cross-gabled frame dwelling of cruciform plan unique in county; The Sexton’s House (tenant house) built 1887 is a 2 story frame side gable house clad w/wood siding and rests on a brick pier foundation. Built for Samuel R. Gordon who served as rector of Saint Thomas from 1853-1882; sold by the church in 1964 for use as a private residence.


Saint Thomas Methodist Church & Cemetery
18810 Aquasco Road
Brandywine MD 20613
1911, frame meeting-house style rural chapel; Gothic arch windows with tracery. Built to replace the Reconstruction-era school/church building; focal point of local black community and best surviving example of its type.


Sellman House (USAD)
Building 23, Sellman Road
Beltsville MD 20705
c. 1905, 2 1/2 story square frame dwelling with projecting bays, Tuscan-columned porch and widow’s walk balustrade; now residence for USDA employees. Unusually large example of the hip-roof square Colonial Revival-style house, a form popular in Prince George’s County in first decade of 20th century.


Site of Columbia Air CenterSite of Columbia Air Center
Croom Airport Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-627-6074
Additional Resource
In 1941, aviation history was made when the first black owned and operated airfield in the state of Maryland was licensed on the site at the end of Croom Airport Road. John W. Greene Jr., a pioneer in black aviation, was instrumental in developing the airfield in the state of Maryland which was originally called Riverside Field. It was occupied by the U.S. Navy during World War II and used for training missions. After the war, Greene reopened the airfield as Columbia Air Center. It offered a flying school, charter services, and facilities for major and minor repairs. The first black Civil Air Patrol squadron in the Washington, D.C. area, called the Columbia Squadron, was formed here. The site is located within Patuxent River Park which is owned anad operated by The Maryland-National Park and Planning Commission. This site is currently used for agricultural purposes and none of the buildings or runways that once stood on the site are extant; interpretive signage tells the story of the historic airport and provides a map of the airfield when it was in use.


Site of NorthamptonSite of Northampton
10900 block Lake Arbor Way
Mitchellville MD 20721
18th and 19th centuries, site includes foundations of 18th-century Northampton plantation house, and ruins of one frame and one brick two-family slave quarter Archeological site of unique importance, particularly for the early 19th century brick quarter, one of only three known brick quarters in Southern Maryland, owned by M-NCPPC.


Skinner Family Cemetery at Mansfield
13610 Croom Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
19th century, wood frame cross-gabled dwelling now demolished; iron fence surrounds cemetery plots.


St. Mark’s Methodist Episcopal Church
601 8th Street
Laurel MD 20707
301-776-8885
Additional Resource
Since 1921, St. Mark’s Methodist Episcopal Church has served as a landmark within the city of Laurel. The history of the congregation dates back to 1891 when James Hebron and two other black Methodists purchased the land for the church. The frame of the church sat across the street from the Laurel Colored School, which was constructed in 1884. St. Mark’s has served an active congregation since it’s founding, and represents the religious center for a long-standing black community.


Suitland ParkwaySuitland Parkway
Suitland Parkway|
Suitland MD 20746
Additional Resource
1937, 1943, 1944, 9 mile long, dual lane parkway w/concrete-arch bridges faced w/stone; connects Andrews Air Force Base with Bolling Air Force Base in Washington, D. C.. Planned before the outbreak of World War II, the project came to fruition with the entrance of the US into the war and the establishment of Andrews Air Force Base a few months later. Significant for its association with the war and the base.


Surratt House MuseumSurrat House Museum
9110 Brandywine Road
Clinton MD 20735
301-868-1121
Additional Resource
Today, the museum presents a variety of programs and events, recapturing the history of the mid-19th century life and focusing on the fascinating web of the Lincoln assassination conspiracy and the involvement of the Surratt family.


Trinity Episcopal Church & CemeteryTrinity Episcopal Church
14519 Church Street
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-627-2636
Additional Resource
1846 brick church with steep gable roof and Gothic arch stained glass windows; four-story crenelated tower added in 1896. Designed by Baltimore architect Robert Cary Long; stands on site of Episcopal church organized in 1810 by Bishop Thomas John Claggett.


Union (Memorial) Methodist Church
14418 Old Marlboro Pike
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
Additional Resource
1916 frame gable-roof church with pointed-arch windows and three-story entry tower. Visible symbol of local black Methodist community, continuing the tradition of the Civil War period Union Chapel.


Wilson Station Radio Tower
6900 Block of Old Landover Road
Cheverly MD 20785
Early 20th Century Railroad tower on the Washington spur line of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Only remaining tower on line; built in same general location as Wilson Station, from which the National Equal Rights party marched in September 1884 when they nominated Belva Lockwood to be President of the United States.


Woodville School
21500 Aquasco Road
Aquasco MD 20608
Additional Resource
1934, one-story frame schoolhouse with three classrooms built to serve black children in the Woodville/Aquasco area. The school house was sold by auction in 1956 to the Knights of St. John’s Commandery #373 for use as its headquarters.


Woodyard Site
Woodyard Circle
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
Location of Henry Darnall’s early 18th-century mansion and merchant Stephen West’s Revolutionary War supply factory; temporary headquarters of American troops during British invasion in 1814 ; important historical archeological site.


World War II Monument
Corner of 59th Avenue and 59th Place
Fairmount Heights MD 20743
Additional Resource
1946, obelisk-like monument constructed of coursed blocks of gray granite and orange sandstone set in random arrangement; the principal section of the monument has a slim pyramidal shape, rising from a square stone plinth. The base rests on a single wide course of granite Many of Fairmount Heights’ young men served their country during World War II. Their dedication and sacrifices were commemorated by the residents of Fairmount Heights in 1946 with the construction of this memorial. The names of each soldier who served and died in the war are inscribed on metal plaques that originally adorned the sides of the stone monument; the plaques have been removed for restoration.


Special activities, programs, and events are held at our Historic sites throughout the year.