hpglogoGeneralKey

 

 

 

 

20th Century

20thCentury

Suburban GrowthIn the late-nineteenth century and the early-twentieth century, numerous residential suburbs were developed to the north and east of Washington, D.C., along the two railroad lines. The range of late-nineteenth to mid-twentieth century suburbs near Washington, D.C., is found in the National Register Historic Districts of the US 1 Corridor and include Mount Rainier, North Brentwood, Hyattsville, Riverdale Park, West Riverdale, University Park, and Calvert Hills in College Park.

Streetcar Suburbs—The Maryland & Washington Railway was the first streetcar line established in Prince George’s County in 1897. It extended from Washington, D.C., to Hyattsville, Riverdale, and to Laurel by 1902. New suburbs, such as Mount Rainier, Brentwood, North Brentwood, and Cottage City also grew up along this line.

In 1900, the Chesapeake Beach Railway was built to transport summer vacationers to the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. With the expansion of streetcar service into the winter months, new suburbs, such as Seat Pleasant, Capitol Heights, and Fairmount Heights were established.

In 1908, the Washington, Baltimore, and Annapolis Railway began operation in the county and facilitated the development of communities like Glenarden, Ardwick, Ardmore, and Lincoln.

Residential Architectural StylesFine examples of historic domestic architecture survice in Prince George’s County, from the turn of the eighteenth century through the first half of the twentieth century. Important examples of many of these styles are listed below.

Special activities, programs, and events are held at our Historic sites throughout the year.


 

Photographs are courtesy of their respective websites.


Bowie Railroad Station/Huntington Museumrailroad station museum
8614 Chestnut Avenue
Bowie MD 20715
301-809-3089
Additional Resource
c. 1930, Complex of 3 buildings includes ticket office/freight shed, passenger waiting shed, and signal tower; relocated in July 1992 to serve as museum facility; tower dismantled from original location; rare survivors of the heyday of railroad travel; these buildings have served freight management, ticket sales passenger shelter and train-movement controls at historic Bowie junction; now owned by the City of Bowie. The Bowie Railroad Tower is the home of the National Railroad Historical Society’s Martin O’Rourke Railroad Research Library.


Calvert Hall University of Maryland
College Park MD 20742
Additional Resource
1913, an excellent example of early-20th-century eclectic architecture designed by the architectural firm of Flournoy and Flournoy. The residence hall was named after Congressman Charles B. Calvert, who helped establish the Maryland Agricultural Act.


Calvert Hills
Calvert Hills MD 20737
Calvert Hills is a small section of College Park situated between the famed Cafritz property and the Old Town of College Park. In 2003, the neighborhood was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The neighborhood’s defining feature is the old trolley trail, a raised berm that was recently upgraded with a $90,000 grant from the State of Maryland.


Cedarville Charcoal Kiln
Cedarville State Forest Road
Brandywine MD 20613
301-888-1410
Additional Resource
1940s, cinder block kiln with dirt floor. The structure is significant for its association with the Civilian Conservation Corps and its unique form and function in Prince George’s County and the State of Maryland.


Chew’s Bridge
6900 Van Wagner Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
1898, 90-foot-long wood and iron bridge supported by upright posts constructed of iron Phoenix sections. Built to span the tracks of the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad, and connect two parts of Judge Chew’s Ellerslie farm; only known bridge surviving from the early years of this railroad line; owned by Consolidated Rail Corporation.


Christ Episcopal Church
8710 Old Branch Avenue
Clinton MD 20735
301-868-1330
Additional Resource
1928, Flemish-bond brick-veneer church composed of a rectangular-plan nave with a square tower at its SW corner and a hyphen at its NW corner connecting a two-story addition; decorative bargeboard with a collar beam is sited within the upper gable end of the facade. Built to serve the rural community of Clinton; the building expanded during the late-20th century as the congregation grew; excellent example of an early- to mid-20th-century Gothic Revival-style church.


Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Cottages
Cedarville State Forest Road
Brandywine MD 20613
Additional Resource
1940s, 1 1/2 story, two-bay frame cottages with brick chimneys and exposed rafter tails under roof eaves. Excellent example of CCC construction; the modest vernacular utilitarian buildings are significant for their CCC association within the Cedarville State Forest.


College Heights
College Heights 20782
In April 1920, Harry W. Shepherd and Claude Gilbert platted College Heights, a hilly 30-acre parcel of land west of Baltimore Ave. near the present Old Town College Park and the University of Maryland.


college park aviation museumCollege Park Aviation Museuem
1985 Corporal Frank Scott Drive
College Park MD 20740
301-864-6029
Additional Resource
The College Park Aviation Museum, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is located on the grounds of the world’s oldest continuously operating airport. The airport, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was founded in 1909 when Wilbur Wright came here to give flight instruction to the first military aviators. Visitors to the museum step into an open one-and-a-half-story exhibit space, which highlights the display of unique aircraft and artifacts and tells the story of the airport’s many aviation firsts. The museum gallery contains historic and reproduction aircraft associated with the history of the airfield, as well as hands-on activities and interpretive areas for children of all ages. Changing exhibits and new programs every month keep visitors coming back for more.


Dorsey ChapelDorsey Chapel
10704 Brookland Road
Glenn Dale MD 20769
240-264-3415
Additional Resource
Dorsey Chapel is a small meeting-house-style church which served as the spiritual and social center of the rural African-American community of Brookland at the turn of the 20th century. Construction of the chapel was completed in 1900; it was named after its first minister, the Reverend A.B. Dorsey. A small, active congregation occupied the chapel from 1900 to 1971. In 1971, the congregation merged with the congregation from Perkins Chapel to form Glenn Dale United Methodist Church, and Dorsey Chapel was no longer used. Initially scheduled for demolition in 1980, the Friends of Dorsey Chapel organized efforts to preserve and restore the Church.


Duvall Tobacco Barns
North of Marlton Avenue within Rosaryville State Park
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-856-9656
Additional Resource
Late 19th, early 20th century; the Duvall Barn Complex consists of two barns, a silo, two hay pens, and a shed. The barns were constructed for George T. Duvall; the property on which the barns are located was later deeded to the State of Maryland Department of Natural Resources for the creation of Rosaryville State Park; the barns exhibit different types of traditional agricultural forms and materials and are excellent examples of Late 19th and early 20th century agricultural structures.


Epiphany Church & Cemetery
3111 Ritchie Road
Forestville MD 20747
301-735-7717
Additional Resource
1867-1871, the wood-frame front-gable structure is clad in board-and-batten wood; the bell tower and rear addition were added later; the main block has stained glass, lancet-arched windows Initially designated as a chapel, the church building became the home of the independent parish of the Epiphany Church in 1871; it was expanded in the early20th century as the congregation of Forestville grew; an excellent example of Gothic Revival-style ecclesiastical
architecture.


Fairmount Heights School
737 61st Avenue
Fairmount Heights MD 20743
301-925-1360
Additional Resource
1912; 2 story frame schoolhouse of institutional Foursquare form; a pyramidal roof cupola rises from the front plane of the hip roof and the original school bell is preserved inside. Designed by noted black architect William Sidney Pittman of Washington, D. C.; after its construction, it had the only facilities for industrial training of blacks in Prince George’s County; Served as school until 1934; important landmark in Fairmount Heights.


Forest Grove M.E. Church (Chapel #2)
Fechet Avenue
Andrews Air Force Base MD 20762
301-981-2273
Additional Resource
1914 frame chapel with crenelated tower. Interior renovated after fire in 1985; third chapel on this site includes 1854 chapel in the no-longer existing village of Centerfield, 1880 chapel destroyed by windstorm in 1914.


Fort Foote ParkFort Foote
8900 block of Fort Foote Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
301-763-4600
Additional Resource
1863, remains of Civil War fort, including earthworks, 10 gun mounts, 2 Rodman guns, and concrete magazine. Southenmost of 68 forts erected during Civil War to defend Washington; now part of park system.


Friendly School
10115 Old Fort Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
301-449-4900
1890s and 1920s, small 1/2 story frame front-gabled structure, converted from one-room schoolhouse to residence. A schoolhouse has stood at this location since before the Civil War; one of few schoolhouses in the county surviving from the 19th century.


Gibbons Methodist Episcopal Church Site, Education Building & Cemetery
Gibbons Church Road
Brandywine MD 20613
301-372-6250
1920s, 1 story frame building with gable-end facade; cemetery c. 1900 onward. Founded by a group formerly enslaved African-Americans in 1884 who constructed a frame church building in 1889; it was demolished in 1967; congregations like this helped build a sense of community and self-determination among members in an era when political, social, and economic opportunities were limited by the failure of Reconstruction-era reforms and the structures of government-sponsored segregation.


Governors Bridge
17800 block Governors Bridge Road
Bowie MD 20715
301-627-6074
Additional Resource
1912, single-span steel Pratt truss bridge connecting Prince George’s and Anne Arundel Counties. One of two surviving early truss bridges in Prince George’s County, built at site of important colonial crossing.


Greenbelt Community Center (formerly Greenbelt Center School)Greenbelt Community Center15 Crescent Road
Greenbelt MD 20770
301-379-2208
Additional Resource
Originally called Center School, this outstanding example of streamlined Art Deco architecture was completed in the autumn of 1937, just as the first residents of Greenbelt moved in. Greenbelt is a planned community that was designed and built by the federal government as part of FDRs New Deal. Built to put people to work, to provide affordable housing for low income familes, and be a model of modern town planning in the United States, the community thrived and Center School was used by residents for meetings, adult education classes, recreation, clubs and sports teams, a town hall, a library, and church services. A new wing was added in 1967, then, following the school’s closure in 1993, it was renovated and reopened in 1996 as a dedicated Community Center. The building now houses classes of all kinds, meeting space, services for seniors, a nursery school, artist’s studios, the Greenbelt Museum’s exhibit room and office, the Greenbelt News Review’s office, Greenbelt’s public access television studio, summer camps, and an auditorium/gymnasium. The building features curved aerodynamic struts along front facade and bas relief sculpted panels depicting the Preamble to the Constitution carved by Lenore Thomas, a New Deal WPA artist.


Greenbelt MuseumGreenbelt Museum
10-B Crescent Road
Greenbelt MD 20770
301-507-6582
Additional Resource
The Greenbelt Museum’s historic house is one of the original townhomes built in 1937 as part of the federal government’s experiment in town planning. Greenbelt is one of three federal “greentowns” (the others are Greendale, WI, and Greenhills, OH). Greenbelt’s team of prominent planners and architects attempted to create a small utopia using the principles of garden-city planning which included superblocks, underpasses, pedestrian walkways and carefully designed housing. The International Style or modernist museum house is typical of the housing built in Greenbelt and has been restored and furnished with objects which depict the everyday life of a family in the late 1930s and 1940s. The house also features furniture designed by the federal government and the walls are hung with original architectural renderings and artwork created by New Deal artists and architects. The Greenbelt Museum was founded in 1987 on the occasion of the city’s 50th anniversary and in 1997, Greenbelt became a National Historic Landmark.


nasa goddard space flight centerGSFC Magnetic Test Site
10100b Good Luck Road
Beltsville MD 20705
1966, 60-foot square building constructed of nonmagnetic materials. Unique facility for testing large satellites and calibrating spacecraft magnetometers; essential for operation of U.S. manned and unmanned space program; part of Goddard Space Flight Center.


Harmony Hall
13551 Fort Washington Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
301-763-4600
Additional Resource
A two-and-one-half story eighteenth century Georgian country house of red brick set in Flemish bond. Sixty five acres of wooded areas surround the house. Broad Creek, a tributary of the Potomac River, is part of Harmony Hall’s vast and varied agricultural, cultural and natural histories.


Hilleary Magruder House/William Hilleary HouseHilleary House
4703 Annapolis Road
Bladensburg MD 20710
Additional Resource
Mid-18th century 1 1/2 story stucco-covered stone gambrel-roof house, restored as offices in the 1980s. Built for William Hilleary and visited by George Washington in 1787; one of four surviving pre-Revolutionary buildings in Bladensburg; owned or rented by a series of five doctors, including Dr. Archibald Magruder.


Holst Cabin
Patuxent Wildlife Reserve Center
Laurel MD 20724
301-497-5630
Additional Resource
1933, 2-story log chalet with cantilevered second story and fieldstone fireplace. Built for William and Ione Holt.


Holy Family Catholic ChurchHoly Family Roman Catholic Church
12010 Woodmore Road
Mitchellville MD 20721
301-249-2266
Additional Resource
1 1/2 story frame church with long, steeply pitched gable roof, Gothic arch windows and prominent belfry; grounds include Rectory and new Parish Hall. Fine example of late Victorian ecclesiastical architecture with Gothic-and Stick-style decorative elements; originally served local black Catholic community; an established visual feature. Holy Family Church was built to serve the local Black Catholic community of then rural Woodmore and Mitchellville. It is a fine example of late Victorian ecclesiastical architecture with Gothic and stick style decorative elements. Built in 1890 by parishioners, mostly local black tenant farmers, Holy Family is a front gabled frame church.


Holy Rosary Roman Catholic Church & Cemetery
9961 Rosaryville Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-856-3880
Additional Resource
1928, frame gable-roof church with gothic-arch windows and two-story square corner bell tower. Built to replace the original Catholic church of 1859, continuing tradition of early 18th-century rural Boone’s Chapel; prominent local landmark.


holy trinityHoly Trinity Episcopal Church & Cemetery
13106 Annapolis Road
Bowie MD 20715
301-262-5353
Additional Resource
1836, gable-roof brick church with Victorian Gothic stained glass windows and bracketed wooden cornice; grounds include modern school building. Built on site of early 18th-century Henderson’s Chapel, chapel-of-ease for northern Queen Anne Parish.


Holy Trinity Episcopal Church Rectory
13106 Annapolis Road
Bowie MD 20715
301-262-5353
Additional Resource
1829, 1890s 2 1/2 story gable-roof brick dwelling of sidehall- and-double parlor plan with Tuscan columned porch, and later kitchen wing. Fine example of early Greek Revival-style brick dwelling, built as Rectory for Holy Trinity; one of only three surviving examples of its type in Prince George’s County.


Hyattsville ArmoryHyattsville Armory
5340 Baltimore Avenue
Hyattsville MD 20781
Additional Resource
1918, 3-story fortress-like stone structure with turrets, parapets and buttresses, designed by state architect Robert Lawrence Harris during the administration of Governor Albert C. Ritchie Headquarters of Company F of First Maryland Infantry, later the ll5th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division.


Hyattsville Commercial Area
4130 Gallatin Street
Hyattsville MD 20781
301-985-5000
Additional Resource


Hyattsville Post Office
4325 Gallatin Street
Hyattsville MD 20781
1935, 1 1/2 story Colonial Revival style brick building with large round-arch windows, central cupola, and lower flanking wings; interior murals with agricultural theme. Excellent example of Colonial Revival architecture; lobby is decorated with six important murals by painter Eugene Kingman.


Immanuel Methodist Church & Cemetery
17400 Horsehead Road
Brandywine MD 20613
Additional Resource
896 Gothic Revival vernacular frame front-gable church with lancet windows. One of the oldest Methodist congregations, founded as Smith’s Meeting House in 1794. Francis Asbury preached here in March 1813.


lake artemesiaLake Artemesia Natural Area Park
600 Cleveland Avenue
College Park MD 20740
301-927-2163
Additional Resource
Built around a 38-acre lake, this beautiful park includes an aquatic garden, handicapped-accessible fishing pier and over two miles of hiker-biker trails.


Lake House/Presbyterian Parsonage
8524 Potomac Avenue
College Park MD 20740
1894, only Victorian style dwelling w/Queen Anne decorative detail surviving from early subdivision of Central Heights (now Berwyn). Built for Annie and Wilmot Lake across street from Berwyn railroad station; served as parsonage for Berwyn Presbyterian Church from 1919 to late 1950s.


Lakeland Community High School
Maryland
Additional Resources
1925 Neoclassical brick Rosenwald school with a 1940s addition. One of the first high schools for blacks in the county; built to serve the communities of Bladensburg, Brentwood, north Brentwood, Lakeland, Ammendale, Muirkirk and Laurel.


Laurel Historical Society and MuseumLaurel Historical Society and Museum
817 Main Street
Laurel MD 20707
301-725-7975
Additional Resource
Located in a former mill-workers’ home, this museum houses collections of books, photographs, tools, personal artifacts, textiles, and oral histories. Its main floor is the site of exhibits devoted to the history of Laurel and the surrounding community. Downstairs is devoted to the gift shop, additional exhibits, and an audio-visual area. The 2,590-square-foot brick and stone building was erected in the early 1840s by mill owners to house their employees.


Lewis Holden House
4112 Gallatin Street
Hyattsville MD 20781
Additional Resource
1897, 2 1/2 story frame dwelling with oriel window, panelled gables, projecting bays and wraparound porch, fine example of late Queen Anne-style architecture, and noticeable landmark in the Victorian suburb of Hyattsville. Built for Louis J. Holden; one of two houses of this design in the county.


Longview
1511 Bryan Point Road
Accokeek MD 20607
1930 21/2 story, 5-bay wood-frame farmhouse clad in weatherboard siding with corner boards; a side gable roof with a boxed and raked cornice caps the dwelling; an excellent example of the Neoclassical style. The property was purchased in 1925 by Alice Ferguson, who owned several farms near Mockley Point on the Piscataway Creek, portions of which became part of the Accokeek Archaeological Site where she worked; Ferguson built Longview but never lived on the property; it was constructed by local builder Jack Pierce.


Mattaponi & Cemetery
11000 Mattaponi Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-952-9074
Additional Resource
18th century, rebuilt c. 1820, two-story hip-roof brick house (Flemish bond) with flanking wings; fine interior detail of transitional Federal/Greek Revival period; several barns on property; significantly altered in the 1950s. Country home of Governor Robert Bowie, rebuilt in then-current style after his death in 1818.


McCormick-Goodhart Mansion
8100 15th Avenue
Hyattsville MD 20783
Additional PDF Resource
1924 massive 2 1/2 story Georgian Revival brick mansion with Ionic entrance portico. Designed by George Oakley Totten, Jr., for Frederick and Henrietta McCormick-Goodhart who named it Langley Park after the Goodhart estate in England.


Montpelier Arts Center
9652 Muirkirk Road
Laurel MD 20708
301-377-7800
Additional Resource
Montpelier Arts Center is a dynamic, multifaceted arts destination located on the grounds of historic Montpelier Mansion in northern Prince George’s County. The Montpelier Arts Center enriches the communities of central Maryland by providing quality visual, literary, and performing arts programs.


Monpelier MansionMontpelier Mansion & Cemetery
9650 Muirkirk Road
Laurel MD 20708
301-377-7817
Additional Resource
A fine example of the Georgian architecture popular in Maryland in the late 1700s, Montpelier Mansion sits on approximately 70 acres of beautiful parkland. Architectural and building construction details, as well as historical research, suggest that the house was constructed between 1781 and 1785. Major Thomas Snowden and his wife, Anne, original owners of Montpelier Mansion, welcomed many distinguished guests into their home, including George Washington and Abigail Adams.


Montpelier of Moore’s PlainsMontpelier of Moore's Plains
1714 Crain Highway SE
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
Additional Resource
Mid-19th century, rebuilt 1940s, 2 story hip-roof frame plantation house with 20th-century brick veneer, kitchen wing and portico. Built originally for Stephen Belt, and rebuilt by Keene Bowie in 1940s; a prominent local landmark.


Morrill Hall
University of Maryland
College Park MD 20742
1892, 3-story, 7-bay-wide, 6-bay-deep educational building designed in the Second Empire style. The building is named after Justin Smith Morrill, a
Vermont politician who wrote the first Land Grant Act.


Mount Airy MansionMount Airy Mansion
8714 Rosaryville Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-856-9656
Additional Resource
c. 1740 and late 18th century, complex three-part brick structure, incorporating early 18th-century gambrel-roof dwelling; rebuilt after 1931 fire, and recently renovated as a country inn; historic outbuildings include stable and greenhouse. Home of Calvert family during Provincial period, later frequently visited by George Washington; in this century, home of Matilda R. Duvall and Eleanor “Cissy” Patterson. The original part of the house was built as a hunting lodge by Charles Calvert, the Third Lord Baltimore, when he came from England around 1660. The dwelling then consisted of one 50 foot room with fireplaces on each end. This room is one of the loveliest in the house, which now consists of 13 large rooms. Parties, great and small, weddings, births, deaths, visits from seven Presidents all have left their mark, leaving a wonderful feeling of expectancy to the lovely old home.


Mount NeboMount Nebo A.M.E. Church & Cemetery
17214 Queen Anne Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20774
301-249-7545
Additional Resource
1925 one-story frame gable-roof meeting-house with centered entry tower, built to replace 1877 chapel. Exemplifies the long history of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in this rural area; with adjoining school became focal point for local black community.


Mount Rainier
1 Municipal Place
Mount Rainier MD 20712
Additional Resource
Mount Rainier is the historic Route 1 gateway community from Prince George’s County to Washington, DC at the District’s northeastern boundary. In the early 20th century the suburb that was to develop on the Baltimore and Ohio railroad line (built in the 1830s) was Mount Rainier. It is home to a vast number of Sears houses and Craftman-style homes, many of which have been restored.


Mount Rainier Filling Station
3220 Rhode Island Avenue
Mount Rainier MD 20712
c. 1934 1 story brick filling station with drive-thru supported on 2 rectangular columns; flat roof concealed behind tiled mansard.


Mount Rainier United Methodist Church
3501 Bunker Hill Road
Mount Rainier MD 20712
301-277-8227
1924, 2 1/2 story, 3-bay masonry L-shaped church designed in the Classical Revival style with a front columned portico and a bell tower located in the crook of the L. Designed by architect Rossel E. Mitchell, the church reflects the rapid expansion Mount Rainer experienced as a streetcar suburb during the first decades of the 20th century; the building is an established and familiar visual feature of the neighborhood and is notable for its architectural details.


nasa goddardNASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Goddard Visitor Center ICES Drive
Greenbelt MD 20771
301-286-2000
Additional Resource
The hub of all NASA tracking activities, Goddard is also responsible for the development of unmanned sounding rockets and research in space and earth sciences (including NASA’s Mission to Planet Earth). Through interactive educational exhibits, visitors explore Goddard Space Flight Center with a focus on 1958 to the present. Collections include space-flight artifacts and photographs. Model-rocket launchings, a gift shop, and special group tours are available.


National Agricultural Library
10301 Baltimore Avenue
Beltsville MD 20705
301-504-5755
Additional Resource
Established in 1862 under legislation signed by President Lincoln, the National Agricultural Library, along with the Library of Congress and the National Library of Medicine, is one of the three national libraries of the United States. It is the largest agricultural library in the world, with over 2.3 million volumes on 48 miles of shelves located on 14 floors.


National Archives at College ParkNational Archives at College Park
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park MD 20740
301-837-2000
Additional Resource
The National Archives at College Park is best known as the current home of the Richard Nixon/Watergate tapes. This state-of-the-art archival facility houses an extensive collection of important and historic documents, tapes, and film.


Radio and Television MuseumNational Capital Radio and Television Museum
2608 Mitchellville Road
Bowie MD 20715
301-390-1020
Additional Resource
Explore radio from Marconi’s earliest wireless telegraph to the primitive crystal sets of the 1920s, from Depression-era cathedrals and post-War plastic portables to the development of radio with pictures (a.k.a. television). The museum is located in the 1906 Harmel House, an old storekeeper’s residence in the village of Mitchellville, a section of modern south Bowie. In conjunction with the City of Bowie, the Radio History Society presents the history of broadcasting, a medium which so dramatically shaped our lives from the 1920s to today.


National Colonial FarmNational Colonial Farm
3400 Bryan Point Road
Accokeek MD 20607
301-283-2113
Additional Resource
The National Colonial Farm, an outdoor living-history museum, was established by the Accokeek Foundation in 1958. Located on 200 acres of Piscataway Park directly across from Mt. Vernon on the Potomac, the farm depicts life for an ordinary tobacco-planting family in Prince George’s County in the 1770s. Skilled interpreters lead tours of the farm, highlighting the colonial structures, fields, gardens, and animals. Structures located within the colonial site are open to the public and include a circa-1770 farm dwelling, an 18th-century tobacco barn, a smokehouse, and an out-kitchen. The National Colonial Farm is a recognized leader in the field of historic plant preservation.


National Wildlife Visitor CenterNational Wildlife Visitor Center
10901 Scarlet Tanager Loop
Laurel MD 20708
301-497-5580
Additional Resource
The center is located at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service’s 12,000-acre Patuxent Research Refuge, established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1936. Explore wildlife and the environment in a Smithsonian-quality experience featuring interactive exhibits. The focus is on global environmental issues, migratory bird studies, habitats, endangered species, and life cycles. Magnificent walking trails are also available. But for those who would rather sit, enjoy the view from the tram tours.


Newton White Mansion, Farm & Cemeterynewton white exterior
2708 Enterprise Road
Mitchellville MD 20721
301-249-2004
Additional Resource
In 1939, Captain and Mrs. Newton H. White purchased land in Prince George’s County with the intention of creating a model dairy farm. The farm proved to be very lucrative and the couple commissioned architect W.E. Bottomly to build a mansion on the property. He named the two-story brick Neo-Georgian style home and the surrounding 586 acre tract Enterprise Estate, after the U.S.S. Enterprise, the ship he commanded prior to World War II. It included, model dairy farm buildings and cemetery; the land, known as Warington, was owned for over a century by the Waring family, six of whose members are buried in a small fenced plot near the present mansion. Today the mansion is surrounded by Enterprise Golf Course and consists of six large rooms, a contemporary glass-enclosed atrium, two upstairs dressing rooms, and an outdoor brick patio with a central waterfall fountain.


North Brentwood A.M.E. Zion Church
4037 Webster Street
North Brentwood MD 20722
301-927-7698
Additional Resource
“1920 Front-gabled Gothic Revival brick and stucco church with corner entry tower. One of the two original places of worship in the historically black community of North Brentwood.”


Nottingham Myers Church & Cemetery
15601 Brooks Church Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
1939, 1983, vernacular wood frame and wood clapboard sided church; connecting wing and hyphen constructed in 1983. Focal point for the black population in the Croom-Nottingham region; strong historical connections to the Mansfield plantation and to the work of the Freedmen’s Bureau.


Nottingham Schoolhouse
17410 Nottingham Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
1911, 1-story, 3-bay vernacular building has a front gabled roof with overhanging eaves; a 1-story, 3-bay projecting front-gabled wing on the facade forms the primary entrance. Built on the site of a previous school, using materials from that building.


Old Bells Methodist Church & Cemetery
6016 Allentown Road
Suitland MD 20746
1910, Frame gable-roof church building with corner bell tower and decorative pressed metal ceiling; grounds include modern church/parish hall building. Built on site of antebellum Beall’s meetinghouse; good example of Gothic Revival-style church popular in the county early in this century.


Old Marlboro High School
14524 Elm Street
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-887-6700
Additional Resource
1921, 1934, mission-style masonry school with neoclassical auditorium added on the the front in 1934. Designed by Thomas H. Marsden/Hollyday & Stahl and a highly visible landmark in Upper Marlboro.


Old Marlboro Primary School
14554 Elm Street
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
1896, 1921, 1-story wood frame structure with central gabled entrance bay. Built by Benjamin Crauford; the 1896 school was a replacement building for an earlier public female school built in 1867; the building was converted to a residence in 1921; highly visible small-scale landmark in Upper
Marlboro.


Old St. Margaret’s Roman Catholic Church
410 Addison Road South
Seat Pleasant MD 20743
301-336-3345
Additional Resource
1908, one-story, gable-roof frame church with comer bell tower. Significant for its Gothic Revival architecture and for its connection with Francis S. Carmody, developer of Seat Pleasant.


Old Town College Park Historic District
College Park, MD 20740
Additional Resource
The Old Town College Park Historic District extends from the dates 1889 to 196 5 and is a representative example of the many residential subdivisions that emerged as the suburbs of Washington, D.C., expanded with the advent of the streetcar and automobile at the end of the nineteenth century and in the early- to mid-twentieth century.


oxon hill farm exhibitOxon Hill Farm at Oxon Cove Park
6411 Oxon Hill Road
Oxon Hill MD 20745
301-839-1176
Additional Resource
Oxon Hill Farm is an historical farm with buildings dating back to the early 1800s when the property was a wheat plantation. A variety of daily farm activities and programs is held throughout the park’s 512 acres. Explore how the park evolved from a plantation home during the War of 1812, to a hospital farm to the park you can visit today.


Oxon Hill ManorOxon Hill Manor
6901 Oxon Hill Road
Oxon Hill MD 20745
301-839-7782
Additional Resource
1929, large two-story neo-Georgian brick mansion with hip roof, flanking wings, and fine decorative detail. Outstanding example of 20th-century estate-era architecture, designed by Jules Henri de Sibour for career diplomat Sumner Welles; built near the site of 18th-century Oxon Hill Manor which was destroyed by fire in 1895. Owned by M-NCPPC.


Patuxent Rural Life Museums at Patuxent River Parkpatuxent rural life museum exhibit
1600 Croom Airport Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-627-6074
Additional Resource
The Patuxent Rural Life Museums, located within the 7,000-acre Patuxent River Park, are a collection of museums and farm buildings dedicated to preserving the heritage of southern Prince George’s County. There are seven buildings at the site: the Duvall Tool Museum, the Blacksmith Shop, the Farrier and Tack Shop, a Tobacco Farming Museum, and the 1880 Duckett Log Cabin with its privy, chicken coop, and meat house.


Peace CrossPeace Cross
Annapolis Road and Route 1
Bladensburg MD 20710
Additional Resource
1919-1925, constructed of cast concrete with exposed aggregate, the cross is a tan color comprised of chipped flint material; arms extend five feet from the center on each side and are supported by unadorned, arched concrete brackets; the arms also have arched brackets on top, suggesting the form of a Celtic cross. Significant as a prominent public monument to county residents who lost their lives in the line of duty during World War I; the design of the Peace Cross is the work of master craftsman and contractor John J. Earley, founder of the Earley Process for concrete.


Perkins Chapel and Cemetery
8500 Springfield Road
Glenn Dale MD 20769
c. 1861, 1 1/2 story gable-roof frame meeting-house with bracketed cornice and gabled entry vestibule. Built during the division in the Methodist Episcopal
Church in the 1860s on land donated by J. T. Perkins; one of the few surviving mid-19th century rural chapels in the county.


piscataway parkPiscataway Park
3400 Bryan Point Road
Accokeek MD 20607
301-283-2113
Additional Resource
The view from Mount Vernon will continue to be protected thanks to the Accokeek Foundation’s efforts to develop a public-private partnership to create Piscataway Park. Piscataway Park, part of the National Park Service, was established in 1961 as a pilot project in the use of easements to protect park lands from obtrusive urban expansion. Today, Piscataway Park covers approximately 5,000 acres and stretches for six miles from Piscataway Creek to Marshall Hall on the Potomac River.


Piscataway Tavern
2204 Floral Park Road
Clinton MD 20735
c. 1750; 2 1/2 story gable-roof frame house, attached to older 1 1/2 story section. Operated as tavern and store by Thomas Clagett; important element in 18th-century town of Piscataway.


Poplar Hill on His Lordship’s KindnessPoplar Hill Mansion
7606 Woodyard Road
Clinton MD 20735
301-856-0358
Additional Resource
1784-1787, five-part brick, owned and operated by the John M. and Sara R. Walton Foundation, Inc., Poplar Hill on His Lordship’s Kindness is one of three structures in Prince George’s County designated as National Historic Landmarks. Originally named “Poplar Hill,” its present name is derived from a 7,000-acre land grand from Charles Calvert, the third Lord Baltimore, to Col. Henry Darnall in 1703. The current mansion was built between 1785 and 1787 by the colonel’s great-grandson, Robert Darnall. He replaced the earlier residence of his father, Henry Darnall III, with this beautiful Georgian home. Since its construction, Poplar Hill has been home to many families, including the Darnalls, the Sewalls, the Daingerfelds, U.S. Senator John S. and Susan Daingerfeld Barbour, the Hales, the Dunhams, U.S. Ambassador David Bruce and his wife, Evangeline Bruce, the Sayers, and the last owners, the Walton family. Poplar Hill on His Lordship’s Kindness is an institution within a community that reflects the human spirit and the history of nation within the telling of stories about families, both black and white, from the late 17th century through the time of 20th century. Poplar Hill is currently closed.


Poplar Hill School
19104 Croom Road
Brandywine MD 20613
1936 side-gabled frame schoolhouse. Poplar Hill School is significant for its role in the history of public education for African-Americans in Prince George’s County during the era of government-sanctioned segregation. Poplar Hill School was the second school for “colored” students in the area, replacing a small one-room schoolhouse located approximately 600 feet to the northwest.


Prince George’s Bank, Hyattsville
5214 Baltimore Avenue
Hyattsville MD 20781
1926, 1948-49 Neoclassical brick and limestone bank. One of the bank’s directors, T. Howard Duckett, a local attorney and businessman, helped form the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission in 1918 and The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission in 1927.


Providence Methodist Episcopal Church & Cemetery
10610 Old Fort Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
301-292-2323
Additional Resource
1903, Colonial Revival style church; a 1-story, 1-bay front-gabled portico shelters the main entry in the steeple; the portico is supported by wood posts; fenestration consists of 9/9 windows with multi-light lunette transoms. Built to serve a small congregation in rural Fort Washington, the building expanded as the congregation did, and is now an established and familiar visual landmark along Old Fort Road that stands out for its architectural details.


Queen’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church Site & Cemetery
7410 Old Murirkirk Road
Beltsville MD 20705
301-937-7122
This is the site of the original Queen’s Chapel, built in 1868. The original church was a small log chapel, and included a cemetery that was already being used by African Americans in the Muirkirk area. The original chapel has been replaced twice, most recently by a brick church that stands on the opposite side of the road. The construction of another chapel on an adjacent lot is currently planned. The site of the original chapel is now the cemetery of Queen’s Chapel United Methodist Church. The oldest inscribed gravestone dates back to 1886.


Ridgeley Rosenwald School
8507 Central Avenue
Capitol Heights MD 20743
1927, vernacular wood frame shingled school building with hipped roof. Built in 1927 as part of the Rosenwald program, later used as a special center and since 1960 served as the bus management office for Prince George’s County Public schools. Most intact of the 9 remaining of the original 23 Rosenwald Schools in the County.


Ridgely Methodist Episcopal Church
8900 Central Ave
Capitol Heights MD 20743
301-925-7599
Ridgely Church is a one-story, front gabled structure with pointed-arch windows with commemorative stained glass. It is bordered by a small graveyard with handsome primitively carved stones. The present building was constructed in 1921 to replace the original church founded by Lewis Ridgely in 1871 that was destroyed by fire. Church serving black community at this location since 1871; present building replaces church founded by Lewis Ridgely in 1871 to serve local black Methodist community; moved a short distance back from the major highway and restored.


Riverdale Baptist Church
6200 Riverdale Road
Riverdale MD 2073
301-249-7001
Additional Resource
1896, 2 1/2 story hip-roof frame dwelling with wraparound porch, projecting bay and ornamental shingle siding. Outstanding example of late Victorian domestic architecture, the only surviving historic dwelling in its immediate neighborhood.


Riverdale Park
5008 Queensbury Road
Riverdale Park MD 20737
301-927-6381
Additional Resource
The Town was incorporated in 1920 as Riverdale, drawing the name from Riversdale, the plantation owned by the Calvert family that is at the center of the town. In a referendum held August 8, 1998 it was voted to rename the town to Riverdale Park, effective September 7, 1998. The United States Postal Service, however, still refers to the incorporated town of Riverdale Park as well as some of the surrounding unincorporated area to the east as “Riverdale.


Riversdale House MuseumRiversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road
Riverdale MD 20737
301-864-0420
Additional Resource
Riversdale, a National Historic Landmark, is a restored, five-part, stucco-covered brick plantation home built between 1801 and 1807. Construction of this elegant manor house was begun for Henri Stier, a Flemish aristocrat, and was completed by his daughter Rosalie and her husband, George Calvert, grandson of the fifth Lord Baltimore. The mansion blends both Flemish and American architectural styles and has particularly fine interior plaster detail. The site is also home to a gift shop.


Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church & CemeterySacred Heart
16301 Annapolis Road
Bowie MD 20715
301-262-0704
Additional Resource
1741, 1855, 1876, gable-roof stone church with early semi-octagonal sacristy and later Victorian frame bell tower; grounds include ancient cemetery and Second Empire style Rectory. Sanctuary and sacristy survive from original church; rebuilt after fire in May 1853; Roman Catholic clergy meeting at White Marsh in April 1789 elected John Carroll, a native of Upper Marlboro, as the first American bishop.


St. Barnabas ChurchSaint Barnabas Church & Cemetery
5203 Saint Barnabas Road
Oxon Hill MD 20745
301-249-5000
Additional Resource
1851 brick church with three-story entry tower, mitre arched windows and corbelled cornice; grounds include Rectory, Sexton’s House and parish hall. Built as chapel for St. John’s at Broad Creek to replace original 1830 mission chapel.


Saint George’s Episcopal Chapel & Cemetery
7010 Glenn Dale Road
Glenn Dale MD 20769
301-262-3285
Additional Resource
1892, restored frame gable-roof church building with ornamental shingle siding in gable front and stained glass altar window. Erected as mission chapel of Holy Trinity parish; fine example of late Victorian Gothic ecclesiastical architecture with Queen Anne decorative features.


Saint Ignatius Church & Cemetery
2401 Brinkley Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
301-567-4740
Additional Resource
1890-1891, Queen Anne-style church with centered entry tower, corner buttresses and fine ornamental shingle siding Oldest Roman Catholic Church building in southwest county; fine example of Queen Anne-style ecclesiastical architecture.


St. James Episcopal ChurchSaint James Episcopal Church
13010 8th Street
Bowie MD 20715
301-262-4442
Additional Resource
1906, 1923 Gothic revival style wood frame chapel. As early as 1872, Holy Trinity Vestry considered building in Huntington. This idea was abandoned in favor of one in Glenn Dale, the next train stop. That building is called St. George’s Chapel.


Saint James Hill
14200 Livingston Road
Clinton MD 20735
1830s 2 1/2 story gable-roof brick house (Flemish bond) attached to early 1 1/2 story gable-roof frame building, renovated and expanded in the 20th century. Home of Dr. Benedict J. Semmes (U.S. Congressman); unique joining of architectural elements; prominent local landmark.


Saint James Roman Catholic Church
3628 Rhode Island Avenue
Mount Rainier MD 20712
301-927-0567
Additional Resource
1926, 1951, 1954, Romanesque Revival brick church with a steel skeleton and red clay tile roof. Designed by prominent Washington, D.C. architectural firm Murphy & Olmstead.


Saint John’s Church & CemeterySt. John's Episcopal Church
9801 Livingston Road
Fort Washington MD 20744
301-248-4290
Additional Resource
1766, rectangular brick church, Flemish bond, with flared hip roof; rebuilding of 1722 church structure. Fourth church built on this site in Piscataway (King
George’s) Parish; oldest church site in Prince George’s County.


Saint John’s Episcopal Church & Cemetery
11040 Baltimore Avenue
Beltsville MD 20705
301-937-4292
Additional Resource
1877 gable-roof brick church, bell tower with Stick-style detail and 1920s parish hall. 2-story brick office wing added in 1991. Third church on the site of Zion Parish; designed by Baltimore architect John R. Niernsee; cornerstone laid by Bishop William Pinkney.


Saint Mark’s Methodist Episcopal Church
601 8th Street
Laurel MD 20707
301-776-8885
Additional Resource
Since 1921, St. Mark’s Methodist Episcopal Church has served as a landmark within the city of Laurel. The history of the congregation dates back to 1891 when James Hebron and two other black Methodists purchased the land for the church. The frame of the church sat across the street from the Laurel Colored School, which was constructed in 1884. St. Mark’s has served an active congregation since it’s founding, and represents the religious center for a long-standing black community.


Saint Mary’s Beneficial Society Hall
14825 Pratt Street
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
c. 1892 -one-story, front-gabled frame structure with entrance, porch and small box office at west gable end. For nearly a century the center of social, religious, and charitable activities of local black Catholic community; last remaining building of a group of stores and houses on Pratt Street dating from 1850 to 1930; restored as law office in 1980s.


Saint Mary’s Church & Cemetery
13401 Piscataway Road
Clinton MD 20735
301-292-2522
Additional Resource
1904, Gothic revival brick church, 2 story projecting pyramidal roof entry bell tower and buttresses. Possibly built by Wyvill brothers of Upper Marlboro who had built St. Mary’s Church in 1899.


St. Mary's RectorySaint Mary’s Rectory
16305 Saint Marys Church Road
Aquasco MD 20608
Additional Resource
1848, 1856 2 1/2 story, Greek Revival-and Italianate-style gable-roof frame rectory; unusual entry hall plan and fine interior detail. Built as rectory for St. Paul’s Parish in Woodville and served as such for over a century; floor plan and detail representative of popular mid-19th century house style.


Saint Paul’s Church & Cemetery
13500 Baden Westwood Road
Brandywine MD 20613
1735, cruciform brick gable-roof church (Flemish bond), with round-arch windows and unique sundial over entrance. Built as church of St. Paul’s Parish; in continuous use since its construction; in 1780, Thomas John Claggett became rector of St. Paul’s Church.


Saint Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church
6634 St. Barnabas Road
Oxon Hill MD 20745
301-567-4433
Additional Resource
St. Paul’s is thought to be he oldest black congregation in Prince George’s County. The original church was constructed in 1888. In 1915, the present sanctuary, a small front gabled building with pointed arch towers and a three-story corner tower, was built. The original church was destroyed in the 1920s and replaced by a series of church additions. The church’s congregation preceded the construction in 1888. Traveling clerics in the late 18th century preached to a group of freed blacks in Oxon Hill who had built their own meetinghouse. This group is believed to have a connection to the African American Methodist congregation that in 1867 acquired the land on which St. Paul’s was built.


st. thomas episcoalSaint Thomas Episcopal Church & Cemetery
14300 St. Thomas Church Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-627-8469
Additional Resource
1742-45 cruciform, brick church with Gothic Revival stained glass windows; apse added in 1859, and three story entry tower added in 1888. Built as chapel-of-ease for northern St. Paul’s Parish; home church of Thomas John Claggett, first Episcopal Bishop consecrated in United States; focal point of the Croom community.


Saint Thomas Episcopal Church Rectory
10108 Croom Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-627-8469
Additional Resource
1853, 1887, 1919, cross-gabled frame dwelling of cruciform plan unique in county; The Sexton’s House (tenant house) built 1887 is a 2 story frame side gable house clad w/wood siding and rests on a brick pier foundation. Built for Samuel R. Gordon who served as rector of Saint Thomas from 1853-1882; sold by the church in 1964 for use as a private residence.


Saint Thomas Methodist Church & Cemetery
18810 Aquasco Road
Brandywine MD 20613
1911, frame meeting-house style rural chapel; Gothic arch windows with tracery. Built to replace the Reconstruction-era school/church building; focal point of local black community and best surviving example of its type.


Sanitary Grocery Company Building
3401 Perry Street
Mount Rainier MD 20712
301-779-1978
Additional Resource
c. 1930, the 1-story yellow brick commercial building has a rectangular plan with a canted corner entrance bay; a flat roof with a Mission-style parapet caps the structure. The building’s construction c. 1930 reflects the rapid expansion Mount Rainier experienced as a streetcar suburb during the first decades of the 20th century, it is an established feature of the neighborhood that is notable for its architectural qualities.


Seabrook SchoolhouseSeabrook Schoolhouse
6116 Seabrook Road
Lanham MD 20706
301-464-5291
Additional Resource
The Seabrook Schoolhouse, built in 1896 by the residents of the Seabrook community, provided education for grades one through seven until the early 1950s. The one-room schoolhouse is one of the few surviving one-room schoolhouses in Prince George’s County. The building is unique in that it was designed to resemble the Victorian Gothic architectural style of the cottages originally built in the community.


Sellman House (USAD)
Building 23, Sellman Road
Beltsville MD 20705
c. 1905, 2 1/2 story square frame dwelling with projecting bays, Tuscan-columned porch and widow’s walk balustrade; now residence for USDA employees. Unusually large example of the hip-roof square Colonial Revival-style house, a form popular in Prince George’s County in first decade of 20th century.


Site of Columbia Air Center
Croom Airport Road
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-627-6074
Additional Resource
n 1941, aviation history was made when the first black owned and operated airfield in the state of Maryland was licensed on the site at the end of Croom Airport Road. John W. Greene Jr., a pioneer in black aviation, was instrumental in developing the airfield in the state of Maryland which was originally called Riverside Field. It was occupied by the U.S. Navy during World War II and used for training missions. After the war, Greene reopened the airfield as Columbia Air Center. It offered a flying school, charter services, and facilities for major and minor repairs. The first black Civil Air Patrol squadron in the Washington, D.C. area, called the Columbia Squadron, was formed here. The site is located within Patuxent River Park which is owned anad operated by The Maryland-National Park and Planning Commission. This site is currently used for agricultural purposes and none of the buildings or runways that once stood on the site are extant; interpretive signage tells the story of the historic airport and provides a map of the airfield when it was in use.


Snowden HallSnowden Hall
Building 16, Laurel Bowie Road
Laurel MD 20708
1-888-275-8747
Additional Resource
1820s, 1850s, 1936, side-gabled Georgian-plan brick house raised in mid-19th century to full two stories; flanking 20th-century wings added and building renovated in 1936 to become headquarters of Patuxent Wildlife Research Center. Significant as one of the principal homes in Prince George’s County of the prominent Snowden family; last of the neighboring Snowden estates to pass out of Snowden family ownership.


Snow Hill ManorSnow Hill Manor
13301 Laurel-Bowie Road
Laurel MD 20708
301-725-6037
Additional Resource
Originally built in 1755, Snow Hill Manor was destroyed by fire in 1764 and rebuilt in 1798. One of the many homes in the Laurel area formerly owned by the distinguished Snowden family, Snow Hill Manor is situated on 15 acres of land. The two-story brick plantation house boasting late-Georgian architecture has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1974.


Steed Family Cemetery
3308 Tinkers Branch Way
Fort Washington MD 20744
Additional Resource
The only remaining feature of Belleview, 1792-1830, house built for Lowe family; destroyed by fire October 1996.


Suitland ParkwaySuitland Parkway
Suitland Parkway
Suitland MD 20746
Additional Resource
1937, 1943, 1944, 9 mile long, dual lane parkway w/concrete-arch bridges faced w/stone; connects Andrews Air Force Base with Bolling Air Force Base in Washington, D. C.. Planned before the outbreak of World War II, the project came to fruition with the entrance of the US into the war and the establishment of Andrews Air Force Base a few months later. Significant for its association with the war and the base.


Surratt HouseSurratt House Museum
9110 Brandywine Road
Clinton MD 20735
301-868-1121
Additional Resource
Experience history like never before! This historic house museum, built in 1852 as a middle-class farmhouse for the family of John and Mary Surratt, also served as a tavern and hostelry, a Post Office, and a polling place before the Civil War. During the war, it became a safe house in the Confederate underground that flourished in southern Maryland. In 1864, the Surratt family became entangled in a plot by John Wilkes Booth to kidnap President Abraham Lincoln. Instead, Booth assassinated the president in 1865. While fleeing the area, he stopped at the tavern to retrieve weapons and supplies he had hidden there. Consequently, Mary Surratt was tried in military court and convicted of conspiracy. On July 7, 1865, she became the first woman executed by the federal government.


Thrift Schoolhouse
11110 Thrift Road
Clinton MD 20735
1884, 1-story, 3-bay schoolhouse of wood-frame construction with side gabled roof. Constructed for white students in the county, the school served several communities until a new, more convenient site for a school was chosen in 1909; significant as one of the oldest extant schoolhouses in the county and an excellent example of vernacular school architecture from the late 19th century.


Trinity EpiscopalTrinity Episcopal Church & Cemetery
14519 Church Street
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-627-2636
Additional Resource
1846 brick church with steep gable roof and Gothic arch stained glass windows; four-story crenelated tower added in 1896. Designed by Baltimore architect Robert Cary Long; stands on site of Episcopal church organized in 1810 by Bishop Thomas John Claggett.


Trinity Episcopal Church Rectory
6112 Ivyridge Court
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
Additional Resource
c. 1865, c. 1901, 3 part vernacular frame house includes side porch addition and large rear wing forming a T. Land purchased from Dr. Frederick Sasscer in 1865; served as rectory until 1892, then sold to James I. Coffren who added rear wing; purchased by Anthony Wyvill, whose family lived there until 1992.


Trueman Point Landing
18610 Trueman Point Road
Aquasco MD 20608
Additional Resource
1817 1932, Steamboat landing 1860 1930; remains of pilings still visible; warehouse no longer survives. Served as river port for Woodville (Aquasco) farmers throughout 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries; bought in 1817 by Captain George Weems who established riverboat landing.


Union (Memorial) Methodist Church
14418 Old Marlboro Pike
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
Additional Resource
1916 frame gable-roof church with pointed-arch windows and three-story entry tower. Visible symbol of local black Methodist community, continuing the tradition of the Civil War period Union Chapel.


Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis Recreational TrailWB&A
Route 450 in Glenn Dale
Glenn Dale & Bowie MD 20769
301-699-2255
Additional Resource
The Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis (WB&A) Trail runs along the site of the former Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad. From 1908 through 1935, state-of-the-art electric commuter trains ran along this route through Bowie and Glenn Dale, carrying passengers between Washington, DC, and Baltimore.


West Riverdale
Riverdale 20737
On December 23, 2002, the Town of Riverdale Park was granted two National Register Historic Districts-Riverdale Park (west of Taylor Road and north to Tuckerman Street on both sides of the B&O Railroad tracks) and West Riverdale (west of Route 1 to the Hyattsville border). The two districts were necessary because a historic connection could not be made between the two areas across Route 1.


Wilmer’s Park
15710 Brandywine Road
Brandywine MD 20613
301-751-5074
Additional Resource
1947-1970; 80-acre parcel containing the ruins of a dance hall, motel, ranch house, covered stage, baseball and football fields. As a major stop on the Chitlin Circuit, Wilmer’s Park opened its doors to African-American musicians, entertainers, athletes and fans from the early 1950s through the late 1960s; Arthur Wilmer used his experience and connections developed as the owner of a night club in Washington, D. C. to bring both popular acts and up-and-coming performers to rural Prince George’s County; the bandstand at Wilmer’s Park showcased everyone from Duke Ellington and Otis Redding to the Temptations, Patti La Belle, and a young Stevie Wonder; the former tobacco farm played an important role in exposing emerging musicians to local African Americans during a time of segregation.


Wilson Station Radio Tower
6900 Block of Old Landover Road
Cheverly MD 20785
Early 20th Century Railroad tower on the Washington spur line of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Only remaining tower on line; built in same general location as Wilson Station, from which the National Equal Rights party marched in September 1884 when they nominated Belva Lockwood to be President of the United States.


Woodville School
21500 Aquasco Road
Aquasco MD 20608
Additional Resource
1934, one-story frame schoolhouse with three classrooms built to serve black children in the Woodville/Aquasco area. The school house was sold by auction in 1956 to the Knights of St. John’s Commandery #373 for use as its headquarters.


Woodyard Site
Woodyard Circle
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
Location of Henry Darnall’s early 18th-century mansion and merchant Stephen West’s Revolutionary War supply factory; temporary headquarters of American troops during British invasion in 1814 ; important historical archeological site.


World War II Monument
Corner of 59th Avenue and 59th Place
Fairmount Heights MD 20743
Additional Resource
1946, obelisk-like monument constructed of coursed blocks of gray granite and orange sandstone set in random arrangement; the principal section of the monument has a slim pyramidal shape, rising from a square stone plinth. The base rests on a single wide course of granite Many of Fairmount Heights’ young men served their country during World War II. Their dedication and sacrifices were commemorated by the residents of Fairmount Heights in 1946 with the construction of this memorial. The names of each soldier who served and died in the war are inscribed on metal plaques that originally adorned the sides of the stone monument; the plaques have been removed for restoration.


Special activities, programs, and events are held at our Historic sites throughout the year.


Photographs are courtesy of their respective websites.